Caramelized Onion, Goats Cheese and Roasted Pepper Crostini
1. This is a multi-step process, but each element is easy and quick to prepare. I recommend doing it in this order and then assembling right before your guests arrive.
2. Pre-Heat the Oven to 200 C
3. Add the 1 TBL of EVOO and whole bell pepper(s) in a small baking sheet and bake for about 8-12 minutes, making sure to turn at least once through the cooking process.
4. While the peppers are baking, start to prepare the onions. In a Medium sauce pan at a medium high temperature melt the butter, now add the EVOO and then the onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes at this temperature, and add the brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and cook for about 20-30 minutes at a low temperature stirring frequently. The onions will turn slightly brown. If the pan begins to dry, add a bit of water to keep the cooking process moving along.
5. While the onions cook, remove the peppers from the oven, and place them into a glass bowl. Cover, and allow them to cool. The steam from the peppers will allow the cooked/charred skin to separate from the flesh of the pepper. Once this has happened the peppers are ready to be cleaned.
6. While you wait for the peppers to cool off toast the baguette. Switch the low broiler on, and place the baguette into the oven in a single layer brush with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper (optional) now toast watching carefully they don’t burn (about 2-3 minutes). Turn once to toast both sides. Remove from the oven and place to the side to allow them to cool.