Orange and Star Anise Braised Lamb Shank
1. First mix all the dry ingredients together 1 TBL Flour, ½ TBL of Star Anise Powder ½ tsp of salt, and ½ tsp of pepper. To prepare the Lamb Shank rub the whole raw shanks with the dry mixture. Now heat 1 TBL of the Olive Oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
2. Next sear the lamb shanks on all sides to until the skin browns slightly. About 6 minutes on both sides. Now set the Lamb Shanks aside.
3. Now add 1 TBL of Olive Oil to the same pot and add the onions, celery, carrot, garlic and sauté for about 10 minutes at medium heat. Then return the lamb shanks to the same pot. Next add the stock, orange juice, 1 TBL of Orange Zest and remaining Star Anise Powder.
4. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer covered until the lamb is tender, around 1 hour 45 minutes.
5. One the lamb is cooked through, remove from the pot set aside and cover to keep warm. Now remove the pot from the heat and with an immersion blender puree all the ingredients into a smooth sauce, now boil and reduce until the sauce thickens for around 15-20 minutes. Lastly, mix in the honey and salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
6. Place the Lamb Shanks in a decorative serving platter, pour half the sauce over the top, Garnish with remaining Orange Zest and Whole Star Anise. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.